It might shock you to know that every year there are more than 10,000 house fires in Australia. The good news,
however, is that most of these can be prevented by taking simple but effective precautionary measures. There are numerous ways to safeguard your home from electrical fire. Here are a just a few to get you started in the right direction:
- Don’t run power leads or extension leads under carpets, over nails, or in high traffic areas.
- Use power boards instead of double adapters, and use safety switches wherever possible.
- Never use a standard household extension lead for a major appliance or a heat-producing appliance; instead, use a heavy-duty appliance lead that can carry the load.
- Replace any cracked, melted, or discoloured cords and plugs. The same holds true for those that feel hot to the touch.
- Remember that household fire extinguishers are designed to be used only once. If you have cause to use yours, replace it as soon as possible.
- Never use water to put out a fire started by oil, fat, or electricity.
- Contact a licensed electrician if your appliances aren’t running at full strength, if your lights are flickering, or if circuit breakers are frequently tripping. This could be a sign that your electrical system in overloaded, and that’s a clear fire hazard that requires swift action.
One more way to sleep better at night is to contact Dunwrights Electrical for whole-house wiring inspection. That way we can correct any visible or even hidden wiring problems to further ensure your family’s safety. We look forward to enhancing your family’s year-round safety and more worry-free living.
By Jon Story