What is the Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant?
Subsidise your next energy efficient home electrical job by getting funding with the Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant!
It really is a “smart” time to save money and the environment with the Smart Energy Grant, and we have a list of approved, energy-efficient items below!
The NT Government has approved this new energy grant to help stimulate the economy and save you up to $1,000.
However, move quickly because the energy grant will be available to the first 4,000 approved territorians.
Who is eligible for the Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant?
People of Darwin and Northern Territory this Energy Efficiency Grant is for YOU!
If you are an eligible NT home-owners and occupier, you can now access energy-efficient products for your homes as a result of this new $4 million Smart Energy Grant program.
This means that a new aircon or hot water system is so much easier and cheaper to upgrade now.
The best thing? The NT government is going dollar for dollar up to $1000.
As a result, you can afford to get a good quality unit with a great warranty – now that’s peace of mind.
For approved pensioners and eligible members of the Northern Territory Carer Concession Scheme, the co-contribution required will be 25% (instead of 50%) making the scheme affordable for everyone.
How the Smart Energy Grant can help you become energy efficient!
Works undertaken with the Northern Territory Energy Efficiency Grant include:
- A new renewable energy source such as solar power.
- The replacement of a non energy-efficient fixed appliance, e.g. air-conditioner, hot water system or pool pump fixture, with an energy-efficient one.
- You can even use it for an electricity management device which includes power meters.
But wait! There’s still more! Once you install a selected model of air-conditioner from Dunwrights you can get a cash back of up to $400 – CHECK IT OUT HERE
How do I apply for a Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant?
- Book a quote with Dunwrights Electricians Darwin or from a Territory business.
- Select the quote which represents best value for money for you.
- Apply for a grant by completing the Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant Online Application Form.
- Alternatively you can collect a hard-copy Smart Energy Grant application form which will be available from Territory Business Centres or by calling 1800 193 111.
- Finally when your application is approved you will be issued a voucher. From there you can notify your nominated business that works can start. Once the works have been completed, you must pay the business using the voucher as part payment as well as your own funds. The Smart Energy Grant business then redeems the voucher from the NT Government.
What items are covered by the Smart Energy Grant?
- Replacement of an air conditioning system. Existing systems must be at least six years old and if unsure call the manufacturer and get confirmation with the model number and serial number. This can be found on the side or bottom of the indoor unit or alternatively ask your Dunwrights tech. For more info see the bottom of this page. The new air conditioning systems must meet the minimum energy efficiency ratings:
Cooling output Energy efficiency star rating
Up to 3kW At least 5 stars
3.1kW to 5kW At least 3.5 stars
5.1kW to 7kW At least 3 stars
7.1kW to 8kW At least 2.5 stars
Above 8kW At leave 2 stars
- New hot water system installation which we can arrange for you.
- Replacement of an electric hot water system with solar or electric heat-pump systems (existing systems must be at least six years old as per the year of manufacture and as verified by the eligible business).
- Modified or replacement of non efficient lighting with energy efficient light emitting diode (LED) lighting – Get rid of the wall lights and put some new LED down-lights in!
- Replacement of an existing pool pump with a new variable speed, at least 7-star energy efficiency rated pool pump (existing pool pumps must be at least four years old as per the year of manufacture and as verified by the eligible business)
- New smart meters / energy monitoring system installations.
Northern Territory Smart Energy Grant terms and conditions
Homeowner eligibility: Residential NT property owners are eligible to apply for this grant and no other entities or persons are eligible.
What is the age of your airconditioner?
To find out how old your air-conditioner is, write down the model and serial number found on the side/bottom of the indoor unit on the sticker or the right hand side/front of the outdoor unit.
Call the manufacturer below and give them your details.
Kelvinator Australia Or call 1300 363 640
Daikin Australia Or call 1300 368 300
Mitsubishi Australia Or call 1300 190 923
Panasonic (imported by Industrial Air) Or call (08) 8354 0088
Applications for the Northern Territory Smart Energy grant have been available since 2/1/2018.